Wednesday 2 November 2016

Why I'm so passionate about the Beano

Welcome to another of my blog posts

In this post, I would like to go through why I am so passionate about the Beano comic.

As a proud six year and counting reader, this particular comic has quite literally changed my life in a very good way.

You're probably sat there, right in front of your screens, staring at this post and thinking "How can a comic change your life?" - let me explain, because this publication is more than just a comic to me.





It all started in the Summer of 2010. I was in a shop, I believe it was Asda, helping my grandparents do their weekly shop. Once finished, my Granddad offered to buy me a comic. I was 12 at the time (presently I am 18), the Beano was the comic I chose. I wasn't really into reading then, I would generally just be playing video games and spend time on my laptop for too long. This was the day that changed.

I have to be honest, I thought reading was just going to be boring. From what I remember, I chose the Beano on this day because of the cover and gifts, but I don't recall even using the gifts. I began to read the comic and I was drawn in to it. What was I even thinking? Reading wasn't boring, it was brilliant. All of the comic strips were exciting to read when I tried the Beano for my first time. Even characters that don't exist in the weekly comic now, like Fred's Bed.

If it wasn't for the Beano (and credit to my Granddad for buying my first ever copy) I might have not even been bothered in reading to this day. Oh, and believe me, if I had never tried the Beano and I made it this far without one, I would regret that choice if I knew what I missed out on.

How is the Beano "more than just a comic", I hear you ask?

I've tried other comics like The Simpsons and SpongeBob SquarePants, but they just aren't the same, as for some reason I wasn't as passionate about these titles. They were okay, but I just gave up on them. I still read the Beano to this date, and proudly hold a subscription for it of which I renew every time it expires.

The Beano comic has been (and still is) something I laugh at every week, something that entertains me and something that puts me in a good mood whenever I'm feeling down.


The comic has been through so many exciting events, too, whether they're promotions such as the Golden Ticket, Prize or Prank, (I won a Batmobile in the Golden Ticket), or other events such as the Trial of Dennis The Menace, even though I didn't get to see it.

There's been talks too, and book readings of my favourite Beano book series, 'The Diary of Dennis The Menace', by Steven Butler (author).

My favourite event to date, however, has to be the Beano rebrand during September 2016. A lot was done to promote this and the comic did not simply change their logo instantly, the build up was huge. The comic had a few editions which lead to The Beano Experience, a 2 hour party event to help release all the fun and "power up" the launch of the brand new Beano.com, which was part of the rebrand. One thing goes without saying; the Beano know who their fans are. I'm 18 and despite my age, I was still invited to The Beano Experience. I went to London for my second time (first time was years ago with school) and I enjoyed it thoroughly.

You can find out more about The Beano Experience event in my related post here.

The fun doesn't end there, as from my understanding, Beano Studios have musicals and potential movies in the pipeline. On top of that, 2017 is the year of which the brand new Dennis and Gnasher TV series (Unleashed) airs on our TV screens, in CGI for the very first time.

Currently, the comic is 78 years old. In 2017 it will be 79 years, then in 2018 it will be 80 years old. From the previous Birthday/Anniversary celebrations, I am sure however the comic reaching 80 is celebrated will be spectacular.

As you can clearly tell from reading my post, the Beano is more than just a comic. It has kept me going with the brilliant comics week by week, special competitions, promotions and events. It helps me calm down by reading it when I'm stressed or annoyed. It is the thing I am most passionate about and I hope it lasts forever. It does not deserve to have the loved by many weekly issues lost from the world like the Dandy was, it deserves to be a permanent product.

I have to credit all the artists, and everyone who works at DC Thomson for making the Beano a thing. It's honestly the thing I am most passionate about and I'm proud of it.

So, Beano team, if you're reading this, thank you so much for keeping the Beano going for so long, producing quality worth reading week by week and acknowledging who your biggest fans are. You are the best company I know.

I have now reached the end of this post. Thank you for reading.

-Andrew

No comments:

Post a Comment